Re: MD NAZIs and Pragmatism

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 02:59:50 GMT

    Matt, Erin, Kevin, etc.,

    You (Matt and Kevin) are trying to put Pirsig's metaphysics into the
    category of metaphysics that Dewey, etc, object to: a system with which one
    can grind out answers to all our questions. But Pirsig's metaphysics doesn't
    do that (and neither, really, have other systems much), and doesn't try to.
    It says that all is Quality, and it is good for us to remember that. It also
    appears to say that, when a conflict arises due to a conflict between
    levels, go for the upper level. But if you think about it, this is not some
    formula with which one can determine one's proper course of action. Rather,
    it is a useful framework for thinking about some (but not all) conflicts.
    The hippie as one who is confusing the spontaneous with the biological is
    one example. Thinking about it in these terms helps us to expand our
    horizons a bit so we don't get caught up in over-simplifications. What it
    does *not* do is "tell us what to do".

    Pirsig (in the introduction to Lila's Child):

    "After reading through these and many other comments, I've come to the
    conclusion that the biggest improvement I could make in the MOQ would be to
    block the notion that the MOQ claims to be a quick fix for every moral
    problem in the universe. I have never seen it that way. The image in my mind
    as I wrote it was of a large football field that gave meaning to the game by
    telling you who was on the 20-yard line but did not decide which team would
    win. That was the point of the two opposing arguments over the death penalty
    described in Lila. That was the point of the equilibrium between static and
    Dynamic Quality. Both are moral arguments. Both can claim the MOQ for
    support. Just as two sides can go before the U.S. Supreme Court and both
    claim constitutionality, so two sides can use the MOQ, but that does not
    mean that either the Constitution or the MOQ is a meaningless set of ideas.
    Our whole judicial system rests on the presumption that more than one set of
    conclusions about the individual cases can be drawn within a given set of
    moral rules. The MOQ makes the same presumption."

    Because Quality and DQ are undefined, the MOQ really can't be used in the
    way you fear (as a combined reality/justice vision). What it is is a "set of
    ideas" on how things, in the most general sense of the term, hang together
    (etc.), just as Rorty's materialism/nominalism is another (and different)
    set of such ideas, and so Rorty is also a metaphysician. (And denying the
    value of appearance/reality distinctions is also a metaphysical position,
    but that's another post.)

    - Scott