Re: MD Art and the MOQ

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 13:00:21 BST

    Hi Ian,

    > Well then Platt, we are back to base camp.
    >
    > You're really asking "What is a good explanation of anything ?"
    >
    > I'd have to start with the caveats that "scientific" is loaded with
    > objective, logical postivist "disprovability" expectations (which I
    > don't hold with exclusively), and causal is well, ... in the eye of
    > the beholder, illusory even some would say (I don't quite hold with
    > that, but ...) Common sense is probably better than scientific
    > causality.

    I'm asking for the scientific explanation of "emergent properties" because
    if anyone on this forum would know, you would. Given the caveats above,
    does science have an explanation for the phenomenon?

    > Your pejorative choice of "suddenly appearing" already indicates that
    > your "open mind" is loaded negatively / sceptically against it though
    > :-)

    I don't see that "suddenly appearing" is pejorative at all, but an
    accurate description of an emergent property, like the behavior of a
    school of fish. But if inaccurate, I'll gladly retract the description.

    > Still with me - I will continue if you are (don't let me off the hook
    > this time).

    Please do.

    Platt