Re: MD NAZIs and Pragmatism

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 17:28:46 GMT

    Matt,

    I think you are dodging my point. Which is, that in philosophy there are
    certain questions that come under the heading 'metaphysics', as opposed to
    'ethics', 'aesthetics', 'philosophy of science', etc. Under the heading of
    metaphysics, one asks, in Philosophy 101 terms (that is, there are a bunch
    of refinements, variations) whether one's general view is that of an
    idealist, a dualist, or a materialist. Rorty, by espousing Darwinism and the
    mind-brain identity hypothesis, clearly aligns himself with the materialist
    viewpoint. This does not mean that he spends a great deal of time defining
    materialism, or trying to establish secure foundations for it, but, simply,
    that materialism is his final vocabulary, if you like.

    And this is, IMO, a Bad Thing, intellectually, and as a consequence,
    socially. Intellectually, since Darwinism doesn't stand up to rational
    scrutiny (viz., the incredible improbabilities it requires, and that it
    cannot give a coherent account of perception -- see my Jan. 10 post). As a
    result it rules out of court a vast set of data (roughly, religous
    experience, which, *by materialist definition* cannot be taken at face
    value), and this has social consequences. That is, just as Rorty accuses
    religion of stopping the conversation, so does materialism.

    - Scott