Re: MD Intellect as Consciousness (formerly Collective Consciousness)

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 00:13:56 BST

    Hi Paul, Ham, and all,

    Ham said:
    I think we are long overdue for an exploration of
    Consciousness itself -- not in the collective or historical
    sense, but as the uniquely human process we all
    depend on to convert sensory awareness into our
    tangible experience of the physical world.

    Or, is that too much for a sometime dissenter to ask?

    Paul replied:
    No, it's not too much to ask, it just begs the question right from
    the off, i.e. you make the assumption that proprietary intellectual
    consciousness is something that is the direct result of a certain
    level of biological sophistication, that e.g. a human born into
    isolation or at any time or place in history would think and perceive
    the same way we do.

    ham 7-21-05:
    You offer the example of "a human born into isolation". Do you
    believe that thought (e.g., cognition and reasoning) cannot occur
    without language or a cultural heritage? That the "isolated" human
    being can only experience without thinking?

    msh 7-21-05:
    I won't speak for Paul, but I think you can answer this question for
    yourself. Imagine an individual transferred straight from the womb
    into a sensory deprivation chamber, to be kept there in total
    isolation for 21 years. What sort of cognition or reasoning would
    this individual be capable of upon release?

    ham 7-21-05:
    Putting it another way, is it your position that the
    consciousness or mind of a human being is no more than a reflection
    of his or her acculturation?

    msh 7-21-05:
    Again not answering for Paul, I'd say that this correct, which is not
    to say that the behavior we associate with the presence of
    consciousness or mind is forever FIXED by one's cultural environment.
    People exposed to different ideas flowing from different cultures
    will certainly be changed by such exposure. This is why, I think, it
    is important to make available to everyone as wide a variety of
    experience and information as possible, so that, as fully-realized
    human beings, we might enhance, not hinder, our common evolution
    toward Quality.

    ham 7-21-05:
    If it is your belief that the individual contributes nothing of his
    own tosociety, how do you explain the intellectual advance of a
    culture? Does one simply "tap into" a higher quality intellectual
    stratum to form new thoughts? If so, where do you think this stratum
    is, and who or what is the source of its intellectual knowledge?

    msh 7-21-05:
    Again not speaking for Paul, it's clear to me that an individual
    isolated from experience, including interaction with other human
    beings, would be a thoughtless lump of quivering hydrocarbons. No
    brilliant insights, no great inventions, no cultural contributions of
    any kind. Cultures and civilizations advance, to the extent that
    they do, by virtue of the fact that they ARE cultures and
    civilizations, that is, they are conglomerations of highly-
    interactive people, all of whom, in a moral society, would be capable
    of making quality decisions based on input from their environment.
    The idea of the lone genius working away in isolation to make the
    world a better place is pure Randian fantasy.

    IMHO, of course.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    It is better to entertain an idea than to take it home to live with
    you for the rest of your life.

    --Randall Jarrell