Re: MD MOQ and The Moral Society

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 16:06:19 BST

    Hi Platt,

    On "health care":

    [Arlo previously]
    My personal feeling, and I think yours may be too (if I understand correctly
    that you do not object to EMT services being funded by tax dollars), is that
    some health-services should be supported by a community, and others should be
    left to the "free market".

    [Platt]
    > Yes. You have read my mind.

    [Arlo previously]
    One way to think about this is a continuum from "life saving" to "life
    enhancing".

    [Platt]
    As I've argued before, "life saving" is a term with different meanings to
    different people. You and I may agree as to what constitutes "saving" as
    opposed to "enhancing," but others will disagree.

    [Arlo]
    Likely. My aim was not to argue specifics, but present one way of looking at the
    spectrum of health care that could then be analyzed via the MOQ. "Life saving",
    of course, Pirsig addresses in describing the value of the individual.

    [Platt continues]
    So the approach I would take is, following Pirsig's belief that democracy
    "established the intellectual order over the social order" (and our own
    agreement to appeal to the intellectual level in trying to come up with ideas
    for a moral society) would be to leave such decisions up to local communities.

    [Arlo]
    I'd disagree only in that I think some services should never be denied an
    individual because a majority votes against it. EMT serives I would propose is
    one such item. Which leads me to believe that the end of the spectrum I call
    "life saving" I don't think should ever be "majority wins". (Although I think a
    community that votes away life saving medical services won't be a community for
    long.)

    [Platt continues]
    Some will opt by democratic vote to tax themselves for more health services than
    others. If an entire nation votes for universal health services, so be it.

    [Arlo]
    I think for what I've called life enhancing services I would not object at all
    to community vote. But this does get back to "who" decides what is "life
    saving" and what is "life enhancing". If its not a "community vote", it has to
    be something/someone. The Supreme Court?

    And what about something that is not necessarily life saving "in the moment"
    such as screening for early detection and prevention? I don't have an answer
    here.

    [Platt continues]
    From my knowledge of how other countries have fared under government health
    programs, I would fight and vote against it. But just as I vote to be taxed to
    support local firemen and policemen, I would vote to support ambulance service
    and a nurse at the local public school.

    Do this seem reasonable to you?

    [Arlo]
    But, what happens should the majority in your community vote against an
    ambulence service? I'd say that violates MOQ morality of preserving the life of
    the individual. So, while I agree with a vote for life-enhancing services, I
    think that services that are life-saving should not be up to a vote.

    As to who decides which is which, the Supreme Court is the only existing agency
    (which is supposed to be excempt from the influence of HMOs, pharmaceutical
    companies, hospital boards and the "whim" of the populace, for example) that
    seems to make sense. But I don't know if that's a perfect solution either.

    Arlo