Re: MD MOQ: Involved or on the Sideline?

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 16:51:54 BST

    Hi Erin,

    [Erin]
    It's more where do you start the change? Do you focus on trying to change
    yourself or focus on telling other people on how they should change?

    [Arlo]
    The dilema is that some decisions are inherently about social patterns. When I
    decide to go and argue for more foreign language learning in my daughter's
    school, it is because I believe that FLL is immensely high Quality. But this
    impacts policy that "tells others" too.

    Conversely, whoever it was who argued that arts and music instruction should be
    "cut" was "telling me".

    When I work on my motorcycle, I am engaged in activity that will impact no one
    (mostly). However, when I add my voice to an AMA or HOG or ABATE legislation
    proposal, I am certainly impacting (potentially) what others can and can't do.
    If I DON'T add my name to legislation I agree with, likely then someone will be
    telling ME what I can and can't do.

    So I choose to act, and be involved, and argue my perspectives from what I
    believe to be a MOQ-based view (of course, I am likely wrong at times, which is
    why I value this group, it helps me realign, or critically understand, what I
    "think" I know at any given time).

    This is my point about being involved. Of course, doing motorcycle maintenance
    is involved in the world. I'd never argue otherwise.

    Arlo