Re: MD URT vs MOQ

From: hampday@earthlink.net
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 06:47:38 BST

    Hello all --

    I don't know if any of you have taken the time to review Steven Kaufman's
    Unified Reality Theory (URT) as I had suggested awhile back, but I purchased
    the 400-page paperback edition and read enough during my vacation last week
    to form some personal conclusions relative to the MoQ.

    Kaufman describes reality as a state of "existential self-realization",
    expending considerable wordage on the dynamics by which existence forms
    relationships with itself. "A relationship," he says, "requires a plurality
    or parts. Since existence begins as a singular, nonseparate whole with no
    separate parts, there's no way for existence to form a relationship with
    itself. For this reason, existence, in order to form a relationship with
    itself, must first either *polarize* or *dualize* into opposite or
    complementary aspects of existence."

    This is all fascinating, clearly written, and well demonstrated graphically,
    but his definition of Absolute Existence as Consciousness, poses an
    epistemological problem. This is most apparent in his chapter on
    "Consciousness as Absolute Existence", from which I've extracted several key
    statements.

    "We don't experience consciousness as such, because experience requires an
    experiencer/experienced duality [sound familiar?] ...Consciousness is
    borderless undefined existence. Awareness is bordered defined existence,
    which must coexist with the boundary which forms that existence, which
    boundary is experience itself. Thus, awareness of experience and
    consciousness actually are mutually exclusive states of existence, since one
    involves and existent duality and the other exists in the absence of any
    duality.

    "Consciousness is existence that's not experiencing itself but just being
    itself, being just what it is. However, consciousness is also relative
    existence, existence that's localized or limited to a relative somewhere,
    experiencing itself as it exists in a relative state of awareness.

    "Without the foundation of absolute existence, there can be no relative
    existence. Without the foundation of consciousness, there can be no
    awareness. Without the foundation of unexperienced reality, there can be no
    experiential reality. Without the foundation of universal being, there can
    exist no individual being."

    Since, according to Kaufman, awareness cannot exist in the absence of a
    duality, the inference is that Consciousness -- his Absolute Existence -- is
    non-sentient. (Can "just being itself" possibly imply "feeling itself"?)
    Although the author's footnotes remind us that Consciousness is only "what
    we call that which exists, which can't be named, because naming is defining,
    and in defining it, it's not that," I find his concept of an insentient
    consciousness implausible and certainly paradoxical.

    Also, although the author asserts that "it's impossible for us to not
    exist," and "what we are must ultimately exist outside the context of and
    beyond any experience, including the experience of ourself as 'I'", he
    offers no theory of a transcendent self, hence, in my opinion, failing to
    deliver on the claim of the back cover squib that the URT "uses science and
    logic to demonstrate that God actually exists, as a pervasive and absolute
    consciousness which transcends the realities of space and time."

    To summarize, I think MoQers would find Kaufman's construction of the
    relational model of reality well worth reading vis-a-vis the Quality
    heirarchy, despite minimal discussion of Value in this thesis. Like the
    MoQ, Kaufman's reality is experiential rather than "phenomenal" and shows
    the influence of Taoist teachings. My disappointment with both authors is
    that -- whether Quality or Consciousness is the ultimate reality -- neither
    reality is sentient, and the reader is left with no hope of transcending
    finitude or participating in its absolute Oneness.

    For anyone interested, "Unified Reality Theory: The Evolution of Existence
    into Experience" is published by Destiny Toad Press and is available from
    order@bookmasters.com. for about $20 US dollars, plus postage.

    Essentially yours,
    Ham