Re: MD Pirsig the postmodernist?

From: Matthew Stone (mattstone_2000@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 09:41:59 GMT

    Platt,

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Foucault imply
    > if not say outright
    > that "relativity of thought" is a universal while at
    > the same time denying
    > the existence of universals?

    Well you seem to be quite happy to dismiss all of
    postmodernism (except Pirsig) with the questionable
    notion that this is a paradox, so I guess we're just
    going round in circles here. Foucault never denies
    the existence of 'all universals', as I said before,
    only that the idea of a continuous, accurate continuum
    of thought is a myth (in fact, I don't know what the
    big deal is with these 'universals' anyway to be
    honest: they seem to merely be a way of
    over-simplifying the inherent complexity in postmodern
    analysis). But I state it again, that there is no
    paradox as it is quite possible to use verifiable
    historico-analytical methods to show how people think
    has changed throughout history. What's wrong with
    this? If Foucault's methods of thought must by
    implication be relative, does this mean we should
    refrain from reading his works? If so, how is thought
    to progress in opposition to this stubbornness? Do we
    just ignore the great revelations being made in our
    understanding, and stick to our nice comfortable
    metaphysical lies?

    > I think the best definition of
    > postmodernism
    > > is the realisation that thought is relative, and
    > that
    > > thought has the ability to turn back on itself and
    > > scrutinise itself. Pirsig does this consistently.
    >
    > There's no insight to saying we possess
    > self-consciousness and can
    > think about what we're thinking. If that's
    > postmodernism, it lays an egg.
    > People have been scrutinizing thinking since the
    > ancient Greeks.

    But everyday thought by everyday people didn't
    scrutinise itself in Greek times. Just like SOM in
    modernity didn't. I think it's an somewhat ambitious
    contention to say the ancient Greeks had an
    appreciation of the contingency of the metaphysics
    that governed their cognitive activity.

    > > And if you contend that Pirsig
    > > is not postmodern at all, what do you make of his
    > idea
    > > of the relativity and interchangeability of
    > > metaphysics?
    >
    > Could you run that by me again with a quotation from
    > Pirsig that says
    > what I think you're saying? Perhaps you're referring
    > to his maps
    > metaphor?

    I'm afraid I don't have either of his books with me at
    the moment. But I recall Pirsig saying that the MoQ
    isn't superior to the SOM by default, it is merely
    Pirsig's proposition that it 'fits' better with
    thinking. Is this wrong?

    Matt