Re: MD Life after death?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 13:01:25 GMT

    Hi Sam, Wim:

    Thanks for reminding me of your previous answers to my query
    regarding Christianity and your relation to its central tenants. Your
    current discussion of your religious beliefs triggered my repeated inquiry
    because the promise of life after death seems to me so basic in
    Christian doctrine. Were it not for that prospect, I doubt if Christianity
    would have appealed to millions throughout the ages. That neither of you
    find the Resurrection a key part of your faith I find surprising, especially
    in light of your apparent acceptance of many other Christian principles.

    Pirsig's voyage into reincarnation is described in the Afterward to ZAMM
    written in 1984. He describes the murder of his son, Chris, by two black
    men in a mugging. With his philosophical bent, Pirsig kept asking
    himself, "Where did Chris go?" His musings finally settled on the
    question, "What is the 'he' that is gone?" If the "he" is defined simply as
    material flesh and blood, there's no solution. Death is a dead end. But
    seeing Chris as a pattern, " a pattern that was larger than Chris and
    myself," a solution emerged. This pattern found material form again in
    the birth of his unplanned daughter, Nell. "What is seen now so much
    more clearly is that although the names keep changing and bodies keep
    changing, the larger pattern that holds us all together goes on and on."

    This is not the personal resurrection promised by Christianity, but it is a
    a form of life after death that, so far as I know, is a first ever offered by a
    nonreligious metaphysician. The mix of religious beliefs with
    metaphysics is something I find most interesting. To further understand
    your respective views in this regard explains as I best I can the reason
    for pressing the question for a second time.

    WIM:
    > 'Patterns' exist in their recognition as such. In that sense Pirsig's
    > 'son's "larger pattern" survived and was reincarnated in the birth of his
    > daughter, Nell': he recognized aspects of his son (or of his son's role in
    > his life?!) in his daughter. Nell restored some Meaning to his life.

    In saying "Patterns exist in their recognition as such" I presume, Wim,
    that you believe patterns of value have no independent existence of their
    own, and that without someone or something to "recognize" them, they
    wouldn't exist. Is this an accurate description of your view?

    Thanks gentlemen.

    Platt