Re: MD The SOL fallacy was the intelligence fallacy (was Rhetoric)

From: Case (Case@iSpots.com)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 16:31:46 BST

    [Case]
    I sympathize with selective reading. I have a very hard time keeping up with
    the various conversations and have totally given up on reading archives
    unless someone points out something specific to review. Having said that, I
    empathize with Skinner's pigeons in that I find myself clicking send/receive
    on my Outlook toolbar about 50 times a day. I am may actually look for
    software to help me graph this.
    As far as the levels business goes I am talking about the four Static
    levels, inorganic, biological, social and intellectual. As I mention
    somewhere else I took this to be Pirsig test driving the MoQ not the final
    word. On the one hand he simply reiterates the way subjects are laid out in
    most college catalogs which is fine. But when he claims they are discrete
    from one another this does not ring true to me at all. Furthermore his
    purpose is to interject a moral order by way of this heirarchy. I would be
    delighted to discuss how one can derive a moral order from the study of
    science through the apprehension of Quality but I don't think the four
    levels is the proper route.
    I risk sounding like a broken record here but since no one has seen fit to
    notice I will just keep on skipping, keeping on skipping, keep on
    skipping... Quality is the undefined term in MoQ. I have issues of emphasis
    with Pirsig's nondefinition but setting those aside for the moment, the big
    problem is DQ. The conflation of Quality with DQ does begin with Pirsig. I
    can excuse him because I believe his misuse of the term is usually a matter
    of rhetorical convenience or perhaps it is because he did not anticipate
    contemporary advances in math and science that made definition of DQ
    possible. In almost every instance were DQ makes sense, it sounds to a
    westerner like Chaos. Defined this way DQ fits nicely into oriental schools
    of thought as well. It is the active aspect, Yang.
    The MoQ's value for me is in the way it is able to resolve dualism into
    monism and show how dualistic poles function. This may be idiosyncratic but
    I find dualisms everywhere and from binary math to adjusting my thermostat.
    Leaving DQ undefined and talking in mystical reverential terms, results in a
    kind of one legged dualism; or if you will, the sound of one hand clapping.
    I think the MoQ becomes powerful when one starts to see the world as mix of
    flux and stasis. One sees that order is a natural consequence of chaos and
    that the conditions under which it develops are ones in which various forces
    are balanced just so. This way of viewing the MoQ reveals striking
    similarity between the way the ideas and concepts gell internally into
    systems of thought and mental organization and the way the biological
    systems respond to change, social structures evolve and inorganic systems
    interact. I suspect for example that the MoQ could be very useful in showing
    the relationship of memetics to genetics.
    Until this matter is resolved I see the MoQ stagnating. Having two undefined
    terms in a vocabulary of only four words is not productive in my view.
    As for the inner and outer issue. I am of course using them as code words
    for SOM. Although Pirsig shows obvious distain for SOM I believe he claims
    to have illuminiated not eliminated it. I do think there are hard
    distinctions between subject and objects. But I would maintain that there is
    only one subject in SOM and that would be me. You may have your own SOM
    where the subject is you but I think any SOM that includes a plural for
    subject is way off base from the get go.
    So I guess the question that remains is how much trouble have I gotten
    myself into?

    [Matt]