Re: MD Terrorism

From: Case (Case@iSpots.com)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 19:15:27 BST

    Thank you, Ant
    This post was met with a silence matched only by the reponse to my Ghost
    Dance post. Platt's belated reply to your comments was predicatable and can
    be summarized as: "Buncha damn Hippies"
    One can account for the hedonism criticism of the 60s by noting that the
    boomers were the first generation of people on this planet to find
    themselves immune from all of the really bad stuff that plagued their
    ancestors. Most diseases had cures, pregancy was not the invitable
    consequence of sex, wars were reduced to "police actions" and poverty had
    been bought to historically low levels in the developed countries.
    I am tempted to credit this to the good auspices of liberal control of most
    institutions but the point is that for a brief moment anything seemed
    possible. There was a recognition that many of the reasons we had assumed
    for behaving as we had been were no longer valid and other justifications
    would have to be found. Until they were, heck, let's party. Nevertheless,
    there was an strong undercurrent of spirituality to much of that hedonism
    and it was the first time at least since Hesse that eastern ideas received a
    popular hearing in the west.
    My main point really was about the space program. Here was a task that had
    no obvious benefits. It was the ulimate chasing of pie in the sky and yet
    look at the way, even in its currently crippled state, it continues to
    capture the imagination of people around the world. At minimum it showed
    that mankind could be motivated by a vision of something at higher levels of
    Maslow's hierarchy than previously suspected. It indicated that the selfish
    pursuit of individual desire was not the only road to travel. Some of the
    acting globally, originally spun from 70s echos of 60s idealism. Sadly I
    thought those echos die out long ago. It is heartening to hear that anyone
    remembers them.
    I am flat out willing to say that exploration of space is a task of the
    highest moral order from an MoQ perspective but that would take a bit more
    time than I have at the moment and would be utterly futile if no one is
    interested anyway.
    Your comment on Paul McCartney's comment reminded me of the movie Flashback
    where Dennis Hopper tells Keiffer Sutherland, "When we get out of the 80s
    the 90s are going to make the 60s look like the 50s."
    You know if someone had been able to keep his privates in his pants, it
    might have been.

    Case