MD Re: I Am The Fox's Parrot

From: Ant McWatt (antmcwatt@hotmail.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 02:52:31 BST

    Ian G stated to Arlo October 10th 2005:

    Platt is an American citizen first.
    I am a human part of a natural whole, anything else second.
    The difference is in where we choose to draw boundaries round me / we
    and you / them. (Pinker is very interesting on this stuff. And John
    Lennon too - “I am the Walrus” I am he and you is me and we are all
    together, koo koo kerchoo, as I recall very approximately.)

    Platt Holden commented to Ian G October 10th 2005:

    OK, now I get it. If I think of myself as a man rather than a walrus or
    some other beast in the great Gaia, I'm unenlightened.

    Lennon, please pass the needle.

    Ant McWatt comments:

    Platt, sometimes I do get worried about you. It sounds like you didn’t
    enjoy the Sixties quite as much as you could have done. Did Jimi Hendrix
    refuse to sign your Pat Boone songbook or something?

    BTW, for Ian’s benefit, the proper rendition of the first line of “I Am the
    Walrus” is “I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together” and
    was inspired by the other master of English surrealism, Lewis Carroll and
    his nonsense poem “The Walrus and the Carpenter”. In a 1980 interview John
    Lennon remarked that he should have titled his 1967 psychedelic sound
    portrait “I Am the Carpenter” as the Carpenter is the good guy in the poem
    and the Walrus is the George Bush one. Ever the artist, Lennon did note
    anyway that “I Am the Carpenter” doesn’t roll off the tongue as well as “I
    Am the Walrus”!

    Finally, (as Matt Kundert, Brent Vizeau and Rebecca Temmer will no doubt be
    aware), Thomas Nagel’s paper “What is it Like to be a Bat?” is a 1970s
    philosophy classic often given to philosophy undergraduates to discuss
    consciousness and the mind-body problem in a relatively different, Dynamic
    way. So if Platt does indeed occasionally think himself as a walrus (or,
    even a Fox’s parrot?) rather than a human being then he will be in good
    company and – Zeus forbid - might even learn something.

    Goo Goo - Goo Joob!

    P.S. I take it the reference to “needle” is a sly dig at Yoko Ono’s secret
    membership of the Haight-Ashbury knitting circle?

    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    And cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”

    (Lewis Carroll, “The Walrus and the Carpenter”, verse number 11)

    .

    http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/