Re: MD Life after death?

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 22:44:28 GMT

    Dear Wim:

    I'm sorry my question about your belief in the Christian doctrine of life
    after death caused you consternation. By no means do I or would I
    assert you are not a Christian if you don't believe in the literal fact or
    historical truth of the Resurrection. I didn't remember verbatim your
    to my recent query, I apologize.

    > You ask whether it is an accurate description of my view to say that
    > patterns of value have no independent existence of their own, without
    > anyone/anything 'recognizing' them.

    > Pirsig in chapter 7 of 'Lila':
    > 'There's a principle in physics that if a thing can't be distinguished from
    > anything else it doesn't exist. To this the Metaphysics of Quality adds a
    > second principle: if a thing has no value it isn't distinguished from
    > anything else. Then, putting the two together, a thing that has no valve
    > does not exist. The thing has not created the value. The value has created
    > the thing. When it is seen that value is the front edge of experience,
    > there is no problem for empiricists here. It simply restates the
    > empiricists' belief that experience is the starting point of all reality.'
    >
    > In other words: no patterns of value without experience. It is difficult to
    > think about 'experience' without imagining someone/something
    > 'experiencing'. It is not an 'independently existing pattern of value'
    > and/or a pre-existent 'experiencer' that create 'experience of value',
    > however, it is the value/experience that creates both the subjective 'I'
    > and the objectified pattern.

    I agree. Thanks for the reminder of an important MOQ principle, one that
    I easily forget.

    Platt