RE: MD Re: Quality, subjectivity and the 4th level

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 03:46:19 GMT

    Mike,

    I'm not sure about your suggestions' fidelity to whatever it is Bo has been
    talking about, but so much the worse for fidelity. I attempted at some
    length earlier this year to unearth what the consequences of his "SOL" were,
    but it almost seems like Bo's way of forwarding his philosophy is to remain
    vague and never remained pinned anywhere, so one could with a straight face
    say, "This is Bo's opinion." (DMB recently said that Anthony's pretty much
    said the last word about Bo's SOL and I can concur. Back when I first began
    my long excursus into trying to understand Bo, I noticed that Paul, Anthony,
    DMB and I were all in general agreement about what the weaknesses of SOL
    were, and specifically Anthony and I were forwarding the same argument about
    the fatal weakness--that SOL has a self-reference problem; it can't place
    itself anywhere.)

    But in relation to what you're suggesting about the inescapability of
    subjectivity, unlike Ham and Descartes, I'm not sure what is so momentous
    about that realization. Thinking of subjectivity as momentous strikes me as
    something that drew Descartes into making the mistakes he did, which is what
    created SOM in the first place. The only truth it seems to me we need to
    take from the subject/object divide is that the first-person point of view
    is the way we think. What we don't need to do is try and draw some
    philosophical conclusions from it, try and build a philosophical system out
    of the idea of cogito ergo sum. The subject/object divide _doesn't_ exist
    as a metaphysical divide, if metaphysical divides are the kind of divides
    that are there anyway, whether we think about them or notice them or not.
    Pirsig's suggestion about Quality was that metaphysical divides in this
    sense _don't_ exist. What do exist are certain efficacious ways of making
    our way about the world. Descartes took one of those ways, the first-person
    point of view, and tried to pin a bunch of other stuff on to it (the search
    for essences, absolute certainty, belief in God, etc.). Pirsig thinks that
    this has produced more problems then its worth. Pirsig is taking another
    one of these ways, the evaluative interrelatedness of everything, and trying
    to pin a bunch of things on to it (non-linguistic experience, pragmatic
    truth, the nature of insanity, etc.). I think Pirsig's successful in some
    of the pinning (less in others), but I think the point we should draw from
    Pirsig's example is that these pinnings are ad hoc, according to our own
    patterns of fancy, our own proclivities.

    This is what I think Pirsig means by making philosophy deeply personal. We
    tangle with the problems that permeate ourselves. But since we are an
    instantiation of our culture, the way in which we handle these problems
    sometimes have more than idiosyncratic appeal. Sometimes they may help
    others. In other words, sure, "the subject/object divide is fundamental to
    what we are," but so is the fact that we live in evaluative relation to
    everything, that time moves forward, that language unlocks poetry, that we
    are evolving animals, that we need to eat to live. All these things are
    true and seem fundamental to who we are. It would probably be a good idea
    to stop trying to pin any one of them down as _fundamental_ over and above
    everything else. That's the point of Pirsig saying that the S/O distinction
    is not fundamental to reality. Why not give gold metaphysical stars to all
    of them, and then get on with figuring out which of our fundamental parts
    are important to this or that particular problem, rather than getting one of
    them to be a hook on which to hang everything else.

    Matt