Re: MD Re: Quality, subjectivity and the 4th level

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 00:23:47 GMT

    [Platt]
    Well, at least you admit the existence of individuals. That's a start.

    [Arlo]
    Never denied it. You're the only one who makes it an "either or" discussion.

    [Platt]
    Now there's a mouthful from an individual named Arlo, who I dare say,
    spoke thus like no one else in the history of mankind.

    [Arlo]
    Not at all. In my words one can hear the echo of all the historical voices I've
    been able to appropriate, from Peirce to Pirsig, from Incan myths to Quantum
    Physics. Without these, Arlo would not only not have anything to say, but would
    not be able to speak.

    Every time you speak, I can hear Rand, and Pirsig, and the countless voices that
    make up the little dialogue in your head. You think you think in isolation and
    with no one elses words, but you are quite wrong.

    [Platt]
    As yes, the magical "emergent," the great "oops" of the inexplicable.
    Reminds me of "It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly there was a
    scream."

    [Arlo]
    If you are so anti-emergence, why are you so fond of an emergentist metaphysical
    hierarchy?

    [Platt]
    Surely you can do better in telling your story about how ideas materialize than
    Snoopy. And while you're at it, perhaps you can tell me what collective mind
    first drew the curves that defined Snoopy on a piece of paper.

    [Arlo]
    And without the culture, and the historical legacy of the collective
    consciousness, not only would Shulz have had no voice to conceptualize Snoopy,
    but no paper, no pen and no social dialogue for his characters.

    Snoopy exists not because Shulz existed, but because the 20th century American
    collective consciousness existed, in which Shulz emerged, and through
    collaborative activity with others around him was Shulz able to actualize
    Snoopy.

    Glorify Shulz in Randian icing all you want, its like glorifing a red blood cell
    for creating the human body. Without "individual red blood cells" the human
    body would not exist, sure, but without collectivization on the part of those
    cells, the emergent human body, a higher organism than the red blood cell, the
    human body also would not exist.

    [Platt]
    But you cannot escape the fact that Descartes said it, not a committee,
    bureau, department, council, commission, jury, conference, convention,
    fraternity, parliament, commune, pow wow or group of any kind. One man,
    alone, declaring independence from the social level, just as Pirsig, one man
    alone, burning the midnight oil in his study, accompanied only by his
    faithful dog, Rigel, asleep at his feet, putting pen to paper to declare, "A
    tribe can change its values only person by person and someone has to be first."
    (Lila, 9).

    [Arlo]
    Sure Descartes said it. But not alone. Only through the appropriation of the a
    socially constructed collective consciousness that was 19th century French
    culture. It takes two to tango, and without the collective Descartes would have
    nothing to say.

    You keep misrepresenting the "collective consciousness" as something like a
    "group of people". Thankfully, Pirsig proved he knew what it truly is, saying,
    "Religion isn’t invented by man. Men are invented by religion. Men invent
    they themselves are. You know something and then the Quality stimulus hits and
    then you try to define the Quality stimulus, but to define it all you’ve got to
    work with is what you know. So your definition is made up of what you know.
    It’s an analogue to what you already know. It has to be. It can’t be anything
    else. And the mythos grows this way. By analogies to what is known before. The
    mythos is a building of analogues upon analogues upon analogues. These fill the
    collective consciousness of all communicating mankind. Every last bit of it."

    You can keep saying "A man said it and not a committee", but all that does is
    show you don't understand what Pirsig was getting at. That "man" is an
    dialectic participant in the historical and temporal dialogue that is the
    collective consciousness. Descartes said it only by virtue of this collective.

    Without the 19th century French culture (the collective consciousness
    appropriated by Descartes), Descartes would have been able to say nothing, let
    alone have "an idea".

    [Platt]
    My hero, the "someone," the "active catalytic agent."

    [Arlo]
    Who in isolation from the collective consciousness of all communicating mankind
    is "noone". With no voice. With no thoughts. With no words. Hardly capable of
    being anything other than a biological entity.

    You worship the day, I worship the circadian rhythm that is sunrise-sunset. You
    worship a note, I worship the symphony. You worship the red blood cell, I
    worship the emergent product of cell collective activity.
    Individual-collective. Forever intertwined and only separable by illusion and
    charlantism. Whose dialectic gives rise to emergent higher-level organisms, who
    we then call "individual" (at that level), who again through a dialectic
    activity with the collective gives rise to yet another level.

    Arlo