Re: MD Re: Quality, subjectivity and the 4th level

From: David M (davidint@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 17:44:59 GMT

    Hi Matt

    Go along with that up to a point, the philosophy of the Enlightenment
    is no doubt highly political, but that just goes to show how political
    a thing knowledge and our understanding of it is, equally you cannot
    leave art out of these changes, the birth of the artist hero, and then
    the scientist hero. Along with this went a certain repression of religion
    that is useful for ceretain interests and remains alsoa possible means
    to challenge those interests. Same thing goes for the social uses of
    reason and instrumentatlism and the post-modern challenge to these
    'authorities'. I think our values need expression publicly and that
    the failure to tackle cruelty condemns present arrangements. We have
    also underestimated obstacles to freedom created by mass society and
    new forms of conformity. A new impetus towards enlightenment seems
    necessary.

    David M