Re: MD Squonk wrote a Review

From: SQUONKSTAIL@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 22:31:57 GMT

    Hi Squank,

    I notice an ever-so-slight change in your demeaner. Your manners are
    improving, but you should continue to work on this.

    squonk: Will do!

    sq: WE ARE ALL ARTISTS.

    I don't think so. But, we may have a different idea of what an artist is.

    squonk: OK! But think of your posts as works of art?

    sq: WE ALL KNOW QUALITY WHEN WE SEE IT

    I don't think this is true at all. Otherwise, you and I would not disagree
    on the Quality of Matts essay.

    squonk: That's down to our history of patterning.

    Quality is conditioned. I would go as far
    as saying it exists on the social level, if we wish to use Pirsig's
    definition. We don't know what Quality is until we have been shown by
    others.

    squonk: This isn't what the MoQ says.

    Unless we are speaking in the limited sense of Quality as that of
    the hot stove. I don't think Quality encompasses pain. In order to "know"
    Quality in ART, we have to be conditioned within social patterns. I want
    to think there is some essence in works of art that I consider high quality
    which doesn't exist in works I consider low quality, but I think this is an
    illusion. OK, then we get to the ambiguous term of dynamic quality. DQ is
    not in a work of ART. DQ would be present only in the act of creating art.
    DQ is always be present, but only in the moment. And as one of your
    definitions stated it cannot be formally defined. We can only talk around
    in conversation and by experience. This is my takeaway from Pirsig, read
    through my experience. I appreciate anyone who can add to this reading and
    that is why I read the forum page. I am not looking for Masters or Art.
    Matt has added a lot to my reading of Pirsig. What do you have to add?

    still hopeful,
    Andy

    squonk: I would add, 'Have fun'! Be at one with your work and Quality will
    always shine through.