Re: MD Undeniable Facts

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 13:07:12 BST

    Dear Wim:

    > What did you mean 22 Apr 2003 07:54:04 -0400 with [the MoQ being] 'absolute
    > in its inner integrity'?

    Simply that the statements Pirsig made in Lila, such as . . .

    "What the Metaphysics of Quality indicates is that twentieth-century
    intellectual faith in man's basic goodness as spontaneous and natural is
    disastrously naive."

     . . . are logically consistent with other statements and the overall
    framework of the MOQ. That's "inner integrity."

    >Do I understand correctly that my agreement with
    > that (as explanation of the MoQ valuing absolute statements) is a condition
    > for your agreement with what I wrote? 'the MoQ can paradoxically be
    > understood as BOTH an absolute metaphysics which values relativity AND a
    > relative metaphysics which values absolute statements'.

    That depends I guess on what you meant by the MOQ being an
    "absolute metaphysics." I look forward to your explanation.

    Thanks,
    Platt