Re: MD FW: 'unmediated experience'

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 16:38:16 BST

    Hi Scott, DMB,

    : Scott said:
    : This is why I keep touting Franklin Merrell-Wolff. He too wraps his
    : experience in terms native to his culture, but since his culture is that of
    : modern intellectuals, that is, ours, his discussion is especially valuable
    : to us.

    I'm happy with that. Our culture has developed its own mythology, ie what I think of as level 3
    thinking. That this can be the base for level 4 thinking seems uncontentious to me

    : dmb says:
    : Exactly. We can get at mysticism with intellectual terms, at least to some
    : extent. Pirsig and Campbell do it. Wilber does it. He even includes the
    : findings of a whole range of researchers who have looked into it too. But
    : most importantly for our purposes here, mysticism is key to the MOQ

    Whereas this I am not happy with. I don't think that 'wrapping the experience in terms native to
    [the] culture of modern intellectuals' is the same as being able to 'get at mysticism with
    intellectual terms'. The latter implies a cognitive superiority; I think that superiority has to be
    demonstrated.

    Sam

    "Even to have expressed a false thought boldly and clearly is already to have gained a great deal."
    Wittgenstein, 1948