Re: MD Double-think

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 09:22:22 BST

    Hi Scott, Paul, all,

    This is an interesting thread (and I really should get hold of Barfield). Two minor comments

    Scott said:
    : Selected mysticism, the criterion for selection being whether the mystical
    : pursuit incorporates the intellectual level or not. I see those who don't as
    : yearning for original participation rather than final participation (or,
    : same thing, the former are falling into Wilber's pre/trans fallacy).

    By the distinction between original and final, is this the same as saying that you need to have
    something (a self) before you are able to surrender it?

    Scott said:
    : One of the fallacies of modernism, in my mind, is to think that one can
    : separate religion from the rest of one's life. So, yes, it is only religion
    : that needs to catch on. However, postmodern religion will be a very
    : different thing, but that is for another day.

    As you might expect, when another day comes along, I'd be interested to know what shape you think
    postmodern religion might take.

    Sam

    "Even to have expressed a false thought boldly and clearly is already to have gained a great deal."
    Wittgenstein, 1948