RE: MD The mythology of science

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 22:30:53 BST

    Steve, Sam and all MOQers:

    Sam said:
    When I decided to write that 'mythology of science' post, it was in response
    to some comments that science didn't operate within a mythology. I think it
    does, and I sketched out that 'drama of salvation' to try and indicate what
    I think that mythology is. ... You haven't really commented on whether you
    still think that science (somehow) operates outside of a mythology, other
    than to confirm that as a level 4 discipline it is dependent on level 3 -
    but what is the level 3?

    dmb says:
    Let's try a completely different approach. This is one of those times when
    I'm not sure exactly how to articulate the things I have in mind so I'll ask
    for some poetic license and a couple yards of slack. I'll try to sketch out
    a big picture of what the relationship between myth and science is really
    like in the actual world. Its seems to me so deep and complex that I can
    hardly grasp it, and yet I find it utterly fascinating. This won't exactly
    dispute Sam's take on a point by point basis. Our differences on this topic
    are far too enormous for that kind of method to be anything but frustrating
    and wildly inefficient. This won't exactly take on Steve's defense of the
    Spockish version of the 4th level either, but I certainly have that in mind
    too.

    Remember the part where Pirsig tells us about a cartoon octopus nightmare?
    It was not literally true, but dynamically, emotionally and psychologically
    it was true. It was about the young intellectual's stuggle to transcend
    social values, to escape the clutches of the giant. This is the kind of
    dream a young intellectual will have, but social level people, and there are
    lots more of them, have a different kind of nightmare. I won't go into
    detail about the connection between dreams and myths, but let me assert
    their intimate connection with a single pithy phrase; myths are public
    dreams and dreams are private myths. (I forget if it was Campbell or Jung
    who said that.) With this in mind, I think we can see that there is not so
    much a mythology of science as a mythology ABOUT science. And what I see in
    our culture is very far away from the depiction of scientists or science as
    the saviours of the world. Quite the opposite. Ever since Mary Shelly's
    Frankenstein, the first science-fiction novel, our culture has depicted the
    scientists as an insane ego-maniac bent on playing god or otherwise
    disrupting the natural order of things. Every James Bond villain is some
    kind of evil "genius" bent on controlling the world. We love our superheros
    like Superman and Spiderman not only because they exemplify and uphold
    social values, but even more so because they capture or kill the bad guy,
    who is usually an evil "genius bent on taking over the world. The whole
    UFO/alien abduction thing expresses this same anxiety about science and
    technology. Its clear that there no physical evidence that would support the
    actual and literal existence of these aliens, but don't laugh yet. I think
    we have to take the reports seriously, as genuine and very real, but only as
    a psychological event. We see that these reports are loaded with all kinds
    of mythic content, up to and including being selected by a higher being for
    a grand purpose, a virgin birth that will give rise to a new kind of
    humanity and other pronounced religious themes. But the overriding theme in
    this emerging myth is a fear and anxiety about the technological, scientic
    and intellectual superiority of these other worldly creatures. Naturally, it
    is imained that they want to take over the world every bit as much as those
    regular old human evil genius guys. My point? I'm saying that our
    contemorary mythology has a profound relationship with science, but it is
    far from positive, let alone as savior of the world. Our modern myths depict
    science as something to be feared, hunted and destroyed. It is the giant's
    nightmare. It is the hurricane of the 20th century on a subconscious level.
    It is the social level's immune system kicking in to try to maintain
    supremacy. Its true from the giant's perspective. It expresses the anxiety
    that comes from a loss in rank as the 4th level begins to take over as
    leader. And even though Gene Roddenberry (the show's creator) loved science,
    we still find Spock on board, who is at once the only purely rational
    creature and the only alien. Its the same song with the volume turned down.
    Its more Plato than Shelly, but we can still see Spock as a watered down
    version of the monster in the giant's nightmare.

    What Pirsig trys so hard to tell us in ZAMM is that we ought not feel
    alienated by technology or science. In SODV he tells us that scientists are
    not passionless or cold, but creative artists. And the MOQ tells us exactly
    why we should honor and embrace the intellect as a higher form of morals and
    values.

    Does that make sense?