Re: RE: MD MOQ human development and the levels

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 19:12:38 BST

    Hi Platt,

    Thanks for clearing this up. If all you mean by "throwing out SOM" is
    changing the language from 'object' to 'pattern of value' then I'm fine with
    that, it doesn't seem to be throwing out SOM, just rephrasing it (PoVPoVM?).

    I'd prefer a less aggressive, less zealotrous phrase than "throw out"
    though. There is nothing about SOM that needs to be thrown out.

    >...those who buy the MoQ and those who follow SOM share the same
    >reality. Both see a bear as potentially harmful. The only difference is
    >the MoQ guy sees a biological pattern of value and the SOM guys sees an
    >large hairy object with big teeth and bad breath. To both, being
    >threatened by a bear is a low quality experience, for sure.

    Seeing only a pattern of value, and being only a pattern of value yourself,
    really removes the life from life. It is like reading a book and seeing
    only patterns of letters, or, perhaps a story and characters, but still not
    actually feeling the drama. In my opinion, on seeing a bear, the "MoQ guy"
    becomes an "SOM guy" right quick, and that's why I think you can't throw out
    SOM, it is silly to think we can or should.

    >But here's the
    >key: the names we use to describe experience have their origins in our
    >metaphysics, the beliefs we hold about what our experiences mean. If we
    >believe experiences stem from subjects who experience independent objects
    >outside our skins, then for us that's reality. On the other hand, if we
    >believe our experiences stem from patterns of value who experience Dynamic
    >Quality and other patterns of value, then for us that's reality.

    I'm afraid I don't see what lock this key opens.

    >What I gain by throwing out SOM is a better explanation of experience. In
    >the MoQ, experience, existence and morality are all synonyms for the ocean
    >of awareness we swim in, trying to catch the beneficial currents and
    >avoiding the rip tides.

    The MoQ fosters a deeper and more mature understanding of experience, and
    most importantly to me, it puts morality back out in plain view on center
    stage, the star of the show. I guess if you feel that SOM eclipses that
    understanding, or prevents it, then yes, it should be thrown out. But I
    feel it doesn't eclipse MoQ or prevent an understanding of the moral
    ontological basis of subjects and objects.

    Johnny