RE: MD The mythology of science

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 21:43:02 BST

    Sam and all MOQers:

    Sam said:
    Given your interest in Jung, wouldn't you agree that our culture's
    relationship to science contains a deep ambivalence, and that these contrary
    myths, of light and dark, are ways in which society is 'compensating' for
    what has happened since the scientific revolution? Just as the
    'madonna/whore' complex results from an unintegrated anima?

    dmb says:
    It was Jung's idea that UFO lore is fundamentally an expression of our
    anxiety about science and technology. The "mad scientists" is pretty much an
    archetype. In fact, Mary Shelly's Frankenstien is subtitled "a modern
    Prometheus". You may recall that Prometheus is the one who stole fire from
    the gods and gave it to humanity. Given the number of nuclear weapons in the
    world, Prometheus is apt for our age and there are good reasons to be
    concerned. But I think that the main thrust of these myths about science is
    basically an underground, unconscious version of the social level's immune
    system at work. We see it overtly in politics and war, but the same clash
    between the levels goes on in that dimension too. While there is some small
    amount of respect given to scientists and intellectuals in some small
    circles, it seems to me that the US has an anti-intellectual streak that is
    miles wide. I mean, our myths about science only express the same set of
    feelings and attitudes that we can also see in broad daylight. And I don't
    think it is all that ambivalent. Most people fear and distrust it. The
    fundamentalists prefer creationism and the bible. Enviromentalists prefer a
    clean and "natural" world. Conservatives and Reactionaries think
    intellectuals are a bunch of egg-head commies. The villain in every other
    comic book is a scientist gone bad. New Agers amd Neo-Pagans prefer the
    bronze age with its magic. The examples are endless. I see little reason to
    believe that science has become an object of worship or that anyone expects
    it to be the birthplace of the new messiah. Pirsig's ZMM was so huge
    precisely because it addressed our collective feelings of alienation from
    technology, the preception that it is ugly and unhuman. He's trying to
    counter the myth of the mad scientists, the myth that science is unconcerned
    with humanity's depths. The MOQ only further dispells this myth by showing
    what the true nature of intellect is in the broadest of contexts.

    As to the Madonna/Whore complex - I don't know. As I understand it, the
    anima/animus figure appears in the dreams of individuals. (I've been chasing
    mine around for at least twenty years. Even picked my wife because of it.)
    If the animus/anima figure appears anywhere near our collective myths about
    science, it would be news to me. But I'm so glad you asked because that is
    pretty much what I hope to do with the screenplay, the re-telling of the
    Orpheus myth. You may recall that Orpheus follows his dead bride into Hades
    to bring her back from the dead. This is his anima, his higher self, his
    personal goal, the aim of his next transformation. He yearns for her in the
    deepest recesses of his heart. Well, in my screenplay she is a scientist. He
    thinks he's going to save her, but it is she who rescues him. Effectively,
    this re-telling makes science and intellect an object of passionate desire,
    the integration of which will save one's life. But, like Pirsig's main
    thrust, it is an upriver journey. It cuts across the grain and expresses the
    opposite of fear and anxiety. This is difficult to express, hope it makes
    sense.

    Thanks,
    dmb