Re: MD Structuralism in Pirsig

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 22:17:13 BST

    Paul,

    Paul said:
    I am also arguing that explanations of experience can
    be judged by a sense of intellectual or Dynamic value
    that is distinct from the sense of value defining the
    social level, and with or without social authority.
    This is easy to accept if you agree that value is
    empirical reality and needs no social authority to
    'verify' it, and impossible to accept if you deny it.

    Matt:
    I don't see the two things as being logically connected at all. I accept the Quality metaphor, yet I resist making a discrete distinction between society and ideas.

    Paul said:
    If the distinction I make between society and ideas
    fails to provide a good explanation of experience for
    you, it is your sense of value that decides that. What
    is your sense of value based on, Matt?

    It appears that intellectual value to you is whether
    an idea fits with Rorty's explanation of experience or
    not.

    Matt:
    And conversely, an intellectual value to you is whether an idea fits with Pirsig's explanation in Lila.

    I'm perfectly comfortable accepting that "it is your sense of value that decides" what provides a good explanation. That's usually my point in other posts to this forum. So I fail to see its relevance to what we were just talking about. As far as I can see, I summed up our disagreements fairly well, as is evident from your superfluous reminders that "The MOQ values the idea that intellectual patterns of value are distinct from social patterns. That's the way it goes," and "Zen Buddhists would leave [ultimate reality] in."

    Matt