Re: RE: MD MOQ human development and the levels

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 04:25:35 BST

    Hi Platt,

    I think the problem is that sometimes people dismiss an argument as "SOM"
    because the person made the mistake of speaking of things as if they really
    existed, as if people really had experiences, etc. That just seems silly to
    me - people really do have experiences, things really exist.

    Pirsig says that at the top of SOM there are subjects and objects. I don't
    see how two things could be at the top. Does "throwing out SOM" mean simply
    saying that Quality is at the top? That's fine with me, because it leaves
    subjects and objects immediately below Quality, it doesn't throw them out.
    That's what I meant by augmenting SOM with an understanding of how Morality
    is primary.

    Platt quotes Pirsig:
    >"The defect is that subject-object science has no provision for morals.
    >Subject-object science is only concerned with facts. Morals have no
    >objective reality. You can look through a microscope or telescope or
    >oscilloscope for the rest of your life and you will never find a single
    >moral.

    Look in Bibles, listen to your family at dinner, listen to your teacher or
    preacher or neighbor, read Shakespeare, you'll find lots of morals. What,
    these instruments aren't objective enough? Well, you just need to calibrate
    them better, adjust them for historical skew. An uncalibrated microscope
    won't give you very objective results either.

    >There aren't any there. They are all in your head. They exist only in your
    >imagination.

    Yes, but they were put there by real things which are visible if you look in
    the right place. The moral pattern has to be propogated by something,
    Pirsig says they are propogated and supported by the level underneath them.

    >From the perspective of a subject-object science, the world
    >is a completely purposeless, valueless place.

    How does the language "pattern of value" give value? How does simply saying
    that "DQ gives purpose" give purpose? Isn't that pretty tautological? How
    will people seeing the world and the people and things in it as patterns of
    value, and not real things, make them respect people and their things more?
    Seems to me it leaves it just as purposeless, and makes people more callous
    to their shared environment. At least in SOM, we believe that pain really
    hurts someone, and isn't just a metaphysical pattern. In SOM, purpose and
    value come from the culture, and SOM doesn't deny that the culture really
    exists, does it?

    >There is no point in anything.
    >Nothing is right and nothing is wrong. Everything just functions, like
    >machinery. There is nothing morally wrong with being lazy, nothing morally
    >wrong with lying, with theft, with suicide, with murder, with genocide.
    >There is nothing morally wrong because there are no morals, just functions.
    >Now that intellect was in command of society for the first time in history,
    >was this the intellectual pattern it was going to run society with?" (22)
    >
    >No wonder you wanted to vote for Alan Keyes. :-)

    Yes, that's right, because the only thing morally wrong with being lazy is
    that it is morally wrong. It isn't arrived at rationally, it is just
    percieved through experience, we can't help it if we believe that something
    is immoral or moral. There are rational reasons of prudence and ethics to
    not be lazy, but the only thing morally wrong about it is that it is
    something we shouldn't do, we are expected to not be lazy. Morality can
    fall apart if people stop believing that morality itself is its own
    justification. Keyes understands that, and I don't think he is working for
    the Giant, he respects human dignity instead. He doesn't put the corporate
    economy first. (Bauer was pretty cool too. Were you a gwb man right from
    the start of the campaign?).

    Johnny