Re: MD James's inversion

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 16:15:27 BST

    Hi Squonk and Pi,

    OK, it's morning now, and I can see where my confusion came from. Ideas are
    static intellectual patterns and I guess no one has denied that, I guess I
    was thinking about how they are claimed to belong to the most (some say
    only) dynamic level. That's what confused me. I guess as a level, it is
    dynamic, because the particular static patterns that constitute it change so
    much. From decade to decade, on the grand scale, ideas are killed off and
    new ones born, so that the ideas that exist today are very different from
    the ideas that were around 200 years ago, while social and biological
    patterns have changed less.

    But this dynamicism of intellectual level patterns seems to give less
    credibility to any particular idea - if in ten years it may not exist, why
    is it moral for a fleeting idea to kill off (or harm) society?