Re: Re: MD The Transformation of Love

From: johnny moral (johnnymoral@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 18:25:23 BST

    Hi Steve,

    You wrote:
    >Your philosophy of expectation seems to be falling flat here. You say that
    >people should do what is expected of them, but when as you point out, it is
    >no longer expected that couples will stay together in marriage forever that
    >there is something wron, that this is sad. What's the deal? Can something
    >"expected" still be immoral? I think so.

    Only when we are expecting a specific case to behave contrary to the general
    expectation. And though the action we expect may be an immoral action,
    there is a sense that it is moral for that immoral action to take place (the
    action itself remains an example of an immoral action, but that it takes
    place fulfills a larger sense of moral order).

    Well, we all agree that we've lost any expectation we had that a marriage
    should stay together. This explains the 50% chance that it will fail. We
    don't have an expectation that marriages should break up either, we are
    nuetral about what should happen. There is no expectation one way or the
    other. (On this tac, I am one of the few Jerimiahs to predict that sexual
    orientation will also become a 50/50 split, as people profess to have no
    expectation about another's orientation, even though they have every reason
    to believe, based on current estimates, that there is 95% probability that a
    person is "straight". People today insist everyone act as though there is
    a 50% chance that a person might be in that 5%, which will have a propulsive
    effect on achieving their deluded expectation.)

    The reason I say it is sad is because all marriages now suffer from this
    lack of expectation. There is nothing immoral going on to provoke my
    sadness, I am sad for the morality that was lost, the patterns that were
    destroyed, the loss of expectation, the imposition of arbitrary choice and
    the resulting angst and misery.

    No, I don't think something expected can be immoral. I mean, sure, we
    expect a person known to be an immoral person to continue to be an immoral
    person, but that's not what you mean is it? When our expectations are
    fulfilled we are sublimely happy, even if our expectation was for something
    to happen that is terrible for us personally. In the same sense, we are
    sadenned by unexpected serendipity even as we are happy for its effects
    because it shakes our foundation, sets us mometarily adrift.

    Johnny