Re: MD Transformation of Love

From: Elizaphanian (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2003 - 19:22:48 BST

    Hi Steve, all,

    > Sam, I was a bit surprised that you would go along with putting personal
    > romantic love above compassion which I see as Christian love. The Jesus
    > depicted in the gospels never indulged in romantic love, for example. Was he
    > missing out on the highest level of human love?

    Sam says:
    You've confused the language that I tried to set out in my post to Rick, ie levels 2 to 4 of love
    were classed as eros - agape - amor (ie lust, compassion, personal love). I deliberately didn't use
    the word 'romantic' for lots of reasons, but primarily because it raises lots of confusions. The
    example of Jesus brings those confusions out clearly: I would dispute that Jesus never had a level 4
    love, quite strongly (for the most direct argument against it, think of 'the disciple whom Jesus
    loved' in John's gospel, but there are many others, eg Magdalen). That he didn't have a romantic
    love is much more likely, but that's irrelevant to whether he had a *personal* love in the sense
    we're talking about. I think we may disagree about what Christianity involves BTW. To my mind 'love
    they neighbour as thyself' requires the sense of self.

    <from another post>
    I see a personality as a social pattern of value latched onto a biological
    homo sapien through unconscious copying of behavior. As Pirsig clarified in
    Lila's Child, a person who holds an idea is social while the idea itself is
    intellectual. I think you want to put personalities on level 4 with your
    Eudaimonia which I think is a mistake.

    Sam says:
    I'd rather not depend upon the word 'personality' too much, for reasons that I've mentioned to Rick.
    I think that the 'autonomous individual', ie that which can respond to level 4 quality, is a
    *character* built up of particular virtues, ie level 4 static latches. Character and personality are
    similar but not identical. I don't agree with Pirsig on this (from what you say it means that an
    idea is of more value than a person, which I think is totalitarian).

    > I would also ask that you consider the following:
    > Romantic love - lust = celebrity.
    >
    > The more I think about it, the more I think that when you remove sexuality
    > from romantic love, what is left over is very much like the love we have for
    > celebrities. This parallel of romantic love and celebrity lends support to
    > personal romantic love as best describing a social level love and compassion
    > as a non-personal 4th level love.

    I think that's a very interesting line of thought. I'll ponder it some more.

    Sam

    "Phaedrus is fascinated too by the description of the motive of 'duty toward self' which is an
    almost exact translation of the Sanskrit word 'dharma', sometimes described as the 'one' of the
    Hindus. Can the 'dharma' of the Hindus and the 'virtue' of the Ancient Greeks be identical?" - The
    Eudaimonic MoQ says yes. "Lightning hits!"