RE: MD The Giant (types of patterns/types of people)

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 17:31:42 BST

    Erin all MOQers:

    Erin wrote:
    I know this hierarchy has been compared to Maslow's self-actualization/
    hierarchy of needs, where lower needs need to be met for further needs. I
    mean supposedly the unabomber was an intelligent mathematician but he's not
    really on my top 10 list of most moral people,...

    dmb says:
    The unabomber, I think, pretty well demonstrates what Maslow and so many
    others have found. Although he was brilliant in some ways, the man was also
    quite damaged. As an infant he was stuck with an illness that prevented all
    human contact for an extended period of time. Certain basic emotional needs
    went unmet in a critical developmental period. Its no accident that one
    damaged by isolation should find himself alone in woods or that he should
    have adopted such a malicious attitude toward society in general. He's
    damaged goods and can't even rightly adopt social values, let alone
    intellectual values. He was living in a world of static patterns all his
    own. He was nuts.

    Erin asked:
    1) would you put the Unabomber as 4th level dominated?
    2) how does MoQ distinguish somebody who is dominated by intellectual values

    with lower levels neglected vs dominated by intellectual values with lower
    levels being met
    3)how in general does a hierarchy deal with balance

    dmb's two cents:
    1) No. I'd file him in the "mentally ill" category.
    2) Pirsig doesn't put it in terms of needs being met, as Maslow would, but
    he asserts the necessity by describing this hierarchy as a "matter of fact
    evolutionary relationship". More specifically, his criticisms of SOM include
    this assertion as something SOM fails to see properly, especially the way
    the intellectual level depends upon and is preceeded by social values.
    3) If I get the question, Pirsig's answer seems to have to do with the way
    we put the lower level patterns to sleep, be a "dead man" and all that, as
    we move through the levels and become more and more dynamic. Its similar to
    the idea of moving up the chakras, mastering more and more as development
    unfolds.

    Erin wondered:
    Just curious what picture people *see* when thinking about this.

    dmb imagines:
    Pirsig is doing metaphysics, but his picture of things is quite consistent
    with the findings of developmental psychology. Wilber has informed my
    imagination on this matters. His books really seems to bridge the gap
    between metaphysics and the more specific psychological issues. Like Pirsig,
    he's painting a picture of "everything" as a dynamic evolutionary process,
    but gets into far more detail in terms in cognitive development.

    Thanks.