RE: MD myths and symbols

From: Paul Turner (paulj.turner@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 11:30:31 BST

    Hi Platt

    Platt:
    I doubt it. Consider the final paragraph in Lila:

    "Good is a noun. That was it. That was what Phaedrus had been looking
    for. That was the homer, over the fence, that ended the ball game. Good
    as a noun rather than as an adjective is all the Metaphysics of Quality
    is about. Of course, the ultimate Quality isn't a noun or an adjective
    or anything else definable, but if you had to reduce the whole
    Metaphysics of Quality to a single sentence, that would be it."

    Paul:
    Good point!

    Platt:
    So "mind," a noun, is a recurring experience of recurring experiences
    which, having said that, becomes a recurring experience of previous
    recurring experiencies, ad infinitum. Intellect (as logos) does have it
    limits wouldn't you say? :-)

    Paul:
    Yes, I wasn't very clear on this. It would have been better just to say
    that if you subtract "thinking" from a definition of "mind" you are left
    with a useless concept which undermines the understanding of the
    intellectual level. The point about verbs and nouns was that I think the
    distinction is more a linguistic custom than a metaphysical difference,
    but I may be wrong!

    Platt:
    So would it is be fair to say that in your opinion another name for the
    intellectual level is the "idea level," the level where all ideas,
    concepts, thoughts, opinions, beliefs, theories, doctrines, creeds,
    etc., belong, regardless of their origin in time or individual?

    Paul:
    Yes, although the ideas one has are culturally "sanctioned" through
    social learning and relationships and obviously the environment that
    contributes to your experience.

    Platt:
    The aborigines engage in mythical thinking supported by ritual as
    opposed to logical thinking supported by measurement of displacements
    in time and space. Mythos vs. logos. Or, groupthink vs. autonomous
    individual. Or, social values vs. intellectual values.

    Paul:
    I think the best description of the mythos is collection of intellectual
    patterns.

    Platt:
    Then I take you believe the intellectual level emerged with the first
    human,

    Paul:
    I would just say that the first intellectual pattern constitutes the
    beginning of the intellectual level.

    Platt:
    and that Lila herself had intellectual quality like everybody
    else. Right?

    Paul:
    I would say that Lila participates in intellectual patterns when she
    thinks. However, I think Phaedrus clearly believes she has no sense of
    intellectual quality. The elegance of a theory is beyond her. Quality,
    to Lila, is sensed biologically.

    Cheers,
    Platt

    Nov '02 Onward -