Re: MD A Brief Proposal for a 5th Level

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 00:40:11 BST

    Matt, Sam, all,

    > Matt:
    > I definitely think there needs to be a rationale, and I certainly didn't
    offer that much of one. The difference I see between the lower complexity
    celluar organisms and the higher order ones is that you can't explain the
    behavior of ants and lions (let alone humans) by reference to their cells.
    I think that would be the point most evolutionary biologists would make. I
    think there's a nice, distinguishable change with the movement from particle
    talk to cellular talk to "herd" talk (or something like that). So, maybe my
    choice of contrast between amoeba and lion was poor. More like cells and
    lions.

    Scott:
    I've been toying with a three-level system, where the social and
    intellectual are collapsed into one level, called the semiotic level. The
    general idea is that all social patterns are semiotic (it is the badge that
    signals that this biological organism is a cop and can arrest you according
    to some other signs called laws, etc.), and of course, all normal
    intellectual activity consists of playing language games, each of which has
    to be -- per Wittgenstein -- a social game. So that leaves two things to
    deal with: the fact that higher animals engage in semiotic activity as well,
    and of course, what happens to social/intellectual conflicts.

    On the first -- which is actually more germane to your question -- the
    answer is to qualify the third, semiotic level, with the word "open". All
    animal "language" is a closed system. There is a finite list of
    sounds/actions that an animal can perform, and a finite (usually one) way
    another animal can respond. Changes take place at the species level, not on
    the individual. With humans, there is the possibility of new responses, of
    lying, of creating new meanings, etc.etc. So the full name for the third
    level would be "open semiotic". The commonality between cells and lions is
    that they both can be characterized as simple responders to stimuli, whether
    the stimulus is a food particle or a dominance-establishing roar. There is
    no choice involved.

    On the second problem, I suggest that Pirsig's fourth level is "really" not
    a new level of *static* patterns of value, but actual creativity on the
    third level. So the conflict involved is between static and dynamic, not
    between two static levels. Once an idea (like freedom of speech) is made, it
    becomes another semiotic static pattern, and the conflict between censors
    and free-speechers becomes a conflict between two sets of semiotic values
    (whether laws should favor one or the other). The one with the greater value
    is the one that better promotes DQ, not intellect per se.

    Under this scheme, the Big Shift of 500 BC is that at that point, DQ started
    to move inside people (or people started to be aware of it as inside),
    making them individuals, so that they began to think of themselves as
    creative, and not muse-inspired.

    Just thoughts, not entirely thought out,

    - Scott