Re: MD MoQ platypuses

From: SQUONKSTAIL@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 17:41:05 BST

    Because I feel like taking things out of context and commenting on them (like
    other people I know):

    Squonk said:
    Phaedrus was asked if he was teaching Quality. This made him reflect upon
    Quality and he discovered that it is primary reality. Subjects and objects then
    become aesthetic creations of the intellect. They are human inventions.

    Matt:
    Squonk says Pirsig "discovered" that Quality is the primary reality.

    sq: That is very naughty of you Matt. If i bring Quality to the attention of
    another individual, and if that individual, having had Quality brought to
    their attention by me then moves on to see that Quality points to the universal,
    then the individual who sees Quality as that which points to the Universal may
    be said to have discovered, for themselves. Of course, being universal,
    Quality is seen by other individuals to be harmonious in its aesthetic description
    of the Universal.

    This obfuscates an important point of Pirsig's, one that is brought out in
    both the new annotations ("'common sense' which is A SET OF IDEAS...") and in
    ZMM in both the "analogues on top of analogues" argument at the end and the
    "ghosts of rationality" argument in the beginning. Not only are subjects and
    object aesthetic creations of the intellect, human inventions, but so is the idea
    of Quality.

    squonk: Yes, Quality is an invention, but the term Quality points to the
    pre-intellectual source of aesthetic harmony. We could use another invented term,
    like Boogaloo? But as Quality has exceptionally wide appeal and is also
    understood to have enormous significance, i feel Quality is better than Boogaloo.

    "Laws of nature are human inventions, like ghosts. Laws of logic, of
    mathematics are also human inventions, like ghosts. The whole blessed thing is a human
    invention, including the idea that it isn't a human invention." (ZMM, p. 36)

    Pirsig myth number #1: Pirsig discovered Quality.

    squonk: He discovered Quality for himself when another asked him if he was
    teaching Quality. Pirsig has considered other terms instead of Quality, but
    Quality has allot going for it as a term even scientists agree as being valid.
    Harmonious aesthetic again.

    I think pushed up against a wall, it is pretty clear that Pirsig's handed in
    his discoverty metaphors.

    Matt

    squonk: i do not know what discoverty means? Is it a better metaphor than
    Boogaloo?
    All the best,
    squonk