Re: Sheldrake (MD economics of want and greed 4)

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 21:42:35 BST

    Hi
    Well evolution means that life forms have changed over time. Pretty sure
    they have evolved from more simple to
    complex, and that species have dies out and others have
    emerged.
    Darwinism=a mechanism to account for this evolution.
    And I am with Karl Poepper when he says that it is clearly not a testable
    scientific hypothesis, but has proved to be a useful research programme.
    When I say read the science journals I mean that I am
    less optimistic than you that science has come to a
    theoretical dead end with Darwin.
    I think the success of Darwinism is simply the success
    of accepting that we need to explains biology in the context of evolution.
    Yes, Darwinism has greatly added to our knowledge. Yes, Darwin was a great
    scientist
    and the book that ends with Darwin for a few chapters
    is about the idea of evolution that was around for a some time before
    Darwin. But we are not too aware of the work in Germany in the English
    speaking world -never mind. But, like a number of other people, I am not
    convinced by random mutations and naural selection.
    Sure natural selection will eliminate species and individuals. But random
    mutations?! RANDOM!
    Which a couple of wild life programmes. The complexity
    of bio-chemistry and life is staggering. Ever done any
    engineering and tried to get the stuff to work? Now
    imagine that you only do it by putting the parts in a box shaking them and
    trying again if they are no good.
    Go ahead I'll give you five million years to try.
    In the future they will laugh that we thought this a few
    hundred years after we thought the earth was flat.
    Fine, you find Darwinism convincing. I do not.

    PS I am obviously not a fundmentalist.

    How could Darwinism ever produce animal instincts?
    How do genes produce behaviour?
    I think this is a confusion of levels.
    That Darwinists try to explain such things show that they are very confused.
    A wasp knows how to paralyse a caterpiller without killing it so its young
    can grow inside it and feed off
    of it. Random mutations?! The wasp seems to have
    precision knowledge of the nervous system of the
    caterpiller. I do not believe in design as a useful
    explanation either. Not just so confident that we have
    really got to grips with what is going on here.
    Most people cannot think out of the Darwinism box
    because there is no other game in town. Don't mean
    its right. There are a number of well known problems
    with neo-Darwinism but there a very few suggestions
    as to how they can be addressed. You should read
    Peter Bowler's book on the history of the idea of evolution,
    it is very interesting to see what people thought
    before Darwin in the same way as it is good to go
    back to the Greeks to look at a non-Christian perspective.
    My disbelief about our current understanding of biology is similar to what
    the cosmolgists
    feel about the laws of physics when they refer to the anthropicprinciple.
    I would also recommend Prigogine's The End Of Certainty as putting a big
    question mark over how the different levels of complex systems are
    not fully dependent on the lower ones. If this is the case how can genes
    cause their structure, if they don't how can the selection of genes
    explain evolution? As R Sheldrake says, genes make enzymes,
    do enzymes build bodies? We really do not know as much as some
    people imply. Most of Darwinism is 'plausible speculation' by their
    own admission. It is annoying. We know evolution must have taken
    place but we cannot come up with a good explanation for it.
    See the book by the anthropologist Jeremy Narby for a possible
    was in which information is passed from the environment to genes,
    rather than by slection only. He comes up with his strange suggestion
    by asking certain S.American tribes how they got such amazing
    knowledge of the properties of plants. Darwin, yes great, had its day,
    I am more interested in what are the possible future developments
    in natural science. You should also read some of Robert M Young
    as he is a world authority on the history of Darwinism, here's his site:

    http://human-nature.com/rmyoung/papers/index.html

    regards
    Davdi Morey