Re: MD A metaphysics

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 22:32:02 BST

    Hi Matt

    Good man, I am completely happy with the position you are now taking to
    physicalsim, it is in the corner where it belongs. Yes it does imply without
    purpose. This is a useful approach because I think purpose implies a dynamic
    situation and
    maths and science has trouble with dynamic situations where dynamic means
    open to different possibilities, what Prigogine
    is getting at when he says 'the possible is richer than the real' and where
    we have to turn to the sort of probability maths that Einstein did not like.
    You can keep using physicalism when you want, I am not going to use it. For
    the same reason I am happy with metaphysics whilst you are not. I am happy
    to keep using it even though I reject the notion of substance. But I if
    anyone pushes me towards the corner I will drop it before I get there. I
    like the idea of hanging on to it because I am currently
    an advocate of Ontological Phenomenology. So if you want ontology you've got
    metaphysics. I think MOQ is a very similar
    to position to OP. OP/MOQ is a realist position that accepts that
    reality=being+becoming=Quality. Unlike SOM that thinks reality=beings. OP
    reality is a sort of pouring fountain of experience. Somehow via language
    (itself a repeating pattern) we get a handle on the repeating patterns of
    experience. Only then can we start the SOM language of objects and what it
    is that allows objects to appear (subjects). But prior to SOM is the pouring
    flux. Unlike SOM I do not want to forget the flux-reality.
    What Heidegger calls the forgetting of Being (where being is not a substance
    but more like a pouring flux or fire).
    You could call it like Cupitt Be(com)ing. It is the guarantee of openness
    and that which makes closure impossible.
    Without Be(com)ing there would be no contingency/history/creativity. Only
    dull, tedious, static repetition. Nietzsche makes
    this distinction. But without dull, limiting, finite static reality there
    would only be flux. The flux is almost transcendent, as it accounts for the
    possible, richer than the real, but it is never far away it is imminent
    (sic). It pours. But somehow static patterns
    occur in the pouring, somehow the possible allows for the finite being of
    this world, and we may not want to say progress,
    bad you have a hard heart not to be impressed with what Be(com)ing has
    achieved. I think that a recognition of Be(com)ing is an important
    anti-anthropomorphic step to take. I think the human-life-world is the
    achievement of
    Man/Be(com)ng/Language. I think this falls in quite well with static/dynamic
    quality from Pirsig, and this was my position prior
    to reading Pirsig for the first time 2 months ago. It is essentially
    Heidiggerian, and I found Pirsig in Lila as expounding Heidegger's ideas in
    some ways better than Heidegger. I do not know if there was any direct
    influence. If anyone would like to take a look at my unpublishably difficult
    but short novel "The Secret Of Matter' and give me their views, please send
    me an email.

    By the way, Matt, you may be right that an anti-substance position is better
    off without the metaphysics tag, or is it just impossible to say anything
    much without implying a metaphysics?

    Regards
    DM