Re: MD Dealing with S/O

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 18:03:59 BST

    Paul,

    You end this post with:

    > In a nutshell, it seems to me that trying to bring Coleridge/Barfield
    > and Pirsig together doesn't work and doesn't help in understanding the
    > vocabulary of either.

    I think I agree. I also think that Coleridge/Barfield's metaphysics is the
    one I need to work with, and not Pirsig's. I'll state my reasoning here as
    to why this is the case for me, but I am not at this point trying to give a
    detailed argument for others. That will have to wait, probably for an essay,
    since it would require a point by point comparison of the reasoning of both
    Barfield and Pirsig. Don't know whether I'll ever get around to it.

    In any case, my interest is in the mind. Pirsig puts the mind as the fourth
    static level. That means, I take it, that not only the products of mental
    activity (i.e., thoughts) are static, but that mental processes (ie,
    thinking) are also static. So if I am studying the mind, we have a static
    process in the form of a subject studying an object, which is mind studying
    mind. But in the MOQ, the mind is not an object, so this phraseology is
    disallowed. This seems like needless obfuscation, as it is readily used by
    other philosophers, SOM and non-SOM.

    But worse than this is that there is no creativity allowed for me (or for
    Shakespeare, for that matter), since all creativity, that is, the production
    of new static patterns of value, is assigned to DQ. Thus, the MOQ seems to
    be on a par with Calvinist predestination. While there is some esoteric
    truth to this, I believe, I also believe it is not the whole truth. The
    whole truth is that the little self *is* (and is not) the Big Self, that our
    sense of freedom is and is not an illusion. The MOQ only points to the "is".
    We need Coleridge/Barfield/Nishida to point to "is *yet* is not".

    Thus I see the need to say that the mind is the locus of DQ/SQ tension in a
    human being. You object that this is a return to idealism, because the MOQ
    states that the mind is just a fourth level of static patterns, as on the
    other three levels, while I am distinguishing mental activity from static
    patterns on four levels. I would say instead that, in order to say that we
    are in the slightest degree free, we must recognize DQ (in tension with SQ)
    as mental activity. I see it as no more idealist than the MOQ is, since it
    is moving concepts like "awareness" and "thinking" out of the subject to the
    source of both subject and object, as the MOQ does with "Quality". If they
    are to be kept within the fourth static level, then Quality becomes a
    transcendent God, not an immanent/transcendent one, and we are no more than
    automatons, or perhaps Pavlovian dogs, conditionable by value, but not
    producers of value.

    Or perhaps one can say that the MOQ is consistent with Theravadin Buddhism
    (go for Nirvana/DQ), but not Mahayana Buddhism (nirvana is samsara), but
    since Zen is Mahayana, that speaks to more confusion in the MOQ.

    - Scott