Re: MD Intellectual level - New letter from Pirsig

From: Richard Loggins (brloggins@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 13:45:50 BST

    Sam,
    The intellectual person is an intellectual static pattern of value by virtue of its ability to skillfully manipulate abstract symbols. This is all the account you need. However the flotsam that is a human subject/object is merely a metaphysical relic handed down to us and whose existence depends on that, and it shameful that this preoccupation obscures the primary reality of Quality.
    Rich

    Sam Norton <elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    Hi Rich,

    > The common sense answer is that an intellectual person does the skillful manipulation, and the MOQ
    goes along with that.

    Is the 'intellectual person' a static pattern of social value? If so it would seem strange for
    something social to be what responds to DQ to guide or manipulate the fourth level patterns. On the
    other hand, if the 'intellectual person' is an intellectual (ie fourth level) static pattern of
    value then some account of it needs to be given.

    I'd be interested to see if people agree with you, but thanks for the response.

    Sam