Re: MD The final solution or new frustration.

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 21:05:53 BST

    Platt

    I am happy to say that mystic experience and language
    points to the existence of DQ. This may or may not be
    the opposite of thinking. I want DQ to have the largest possible
    relationship to our existence, so I want to talk about DQ as an aspect
    of all experience, including thinking. I grant that certain experiences
    make it harder for DQ to be acknowledged but that does not mean
    impossible. You want to say DQ is sometimes part of our experience
    under special circumstances, I want it always to be an aspect, although
    probably more or less prominent. Take te static pattern of recognising
    a tiger. Something flashes past, at a strange angle, in a strange place,
    -I would think some DQ is needed to recognise the static pattern of the
    tiger
    in all its different, sometimes original circumstances and guises.

    'Quality splits into DQ/SQ.' -but the underlying unity always remains.

     DQ is "too obscure for existing language." -yes, we need new language
    > DQ is the "pre-intellectual cutting edge of reality." - OK, and it pours
    itself into our creative thinking/being/experience
    > DQ is "the undefined fittest." -yes, we value first and then turn to
    thinking, but the DQ jkeeps pouring into it
    > DQ "cannot be defined in any encyclopedia." - but we can acknowledge it
    in out new encyclopedias, we are acknowledging it here, it is the
    pre-distinctions unity, so that means before both DQ/SQ -because that is a
    distinction, Pirsig really should say Quality here to be consistent.

     " . . .thoughts . . . are no more than sets of static patterns. These
    > patterns can't by themselves perceive or adjust to DQ."

    -established thoughts-yes, creative thinking -No, this is full of DQ, DQ
    requires us to have new thoughts, I agree that DQ comes first but then I
    think we can say that everythings pours forth from DQ including thinking.

    You seem to want to keep DQ pure by putting it into a corner, I think this
    is a limiting view, better to have DQ
    pouring out into our cosmos, a static pattern is something that repeats,
    first time round it is pure DQ, second time round
    it can be called SQ.

    over to you...

    Regards
    David M