Re: MD Begging the Question, Moral Intuitions, and Answering the Nazi, Part II

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 04:30:09 BST

    David, "having a morality assumes DQ/freedom and so if a morality using SOM ignores this it is inconsistent and poorly thought-out/reasoned" begs the question because you've assumed that "morality assumes DQ/freedom". SOM does not. Saying that a philosophy "ignores" something is a red flag for begging the question (which you don't necessarily have to care about, don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less if I begged the question over the Nazi) because you are stating that _you_ think its obvious, though apparently the other guy doesn't think its obvious. Of course SOM is going to be inconsistent and poorly thought out or reasoned if you use a different vocabulary. Its like when I changed the assumption from "~P" to "P". If you do that in my five step proof, you can't get "~Q" and thereby "R", making the attempt to get "R" look poorly thought out.

    Matt