Re: MD Begging the Question, Moral Intuitions, and Answering the Nazi, Part III

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 22:52:28 BST

    Matt

    Just to cheer you up, I believe you partly, I agree that Pirsig slips up
    here
    and there and looks like an essentialist, and this goes against trying to
    get
    quality/dynamic concept/becoming back into philosophy, but they are slips
    not commitments,
    but I have no problem with doing metaphysics like Pirsig, having read a lot
    of
    Nietzsche, Heidegger, Rorty, Derrida and post-modernism I think when they
    attack
    metaphysics that are attacking a couple of forms of metaphysics, the sort of
    metaphysics that seek certainty, correspondence, an unmediated presence, and
    therefore
    banish openness/freedom/change. However, and this is very clear in
    Nietzsche's attack
    on being in the name of becoming, there is a case for a form of metaphysics
    that merges
    these two into be(com)ing. This, to me, looks alot like quality(sq/dq). Its
    a type of metaphysics that
    puts openness centre stage, that asserts the endless embellishment of
    reality, that sounds a great deal like
    pragmatism, post-modernism, Cupitt, but instead of basing its position on a
    demonstration of slipperyness
    actually adopts it as a principle. It ties in very nicely with quantum
    theory to literary ironism, but it also
    has the possibility of dojng some nice
    religious/mystic/sacred/universal/public/unifying work and get us
    out of that sad old private interests world of isolated pragmatists. Damn,
    did I say I was trying to agree
    with you. You heard it here first, maybe, next big thing in philosophy all
    things post/non-secular. Or how about
    Physics, Phenomenology and God.

    regards
    David Morey