Re: MD Truth (rational enquiry)

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 02:25:12 BST

    Paul,

    > Paul:
    > Yes, unlike the vocabulary of substance based metaphysics, the MOQ
    > provides a vocabulary and a context in which to consider a massive range
    > of human experience, and this may extend to placing everyday activity
    > into an evolutionary context.

    One feature of human experience on which the MOQ is silent is
    self-consciousness. In MOQ terms, self-consciousness would need to be
    expressed as some SQ being aware of itself. The difference between SQ that
    is aware of itself and SQ that is not is rather important, I would think.
    With self-consciousness, SQ (sticking to MOQ terms) has the ability to
    create SQ. If one thinks of any SQ (like biological reflexes) as fixed
    programs, then SQ that is aware of itself can reflect on such programs and
    so become a programmer. So the jump in dynamism from SQ that is not aware of
    itself to that which is, is a jump in kind, not degree.

    Of course, it would be simpler to just call people a mix of DQ and SQ, but
    the MOQ doesn't allow that.

    - Scott