Re: MD Self-consciousness

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 18:40:48 BST

    Paul/Scott

    Paul -I like most of what you say below.

    Scott:
    Of course, it would be simpler to just call people a mix of DQ and SQ,
    but the MOQ doesn't allow that

    I take people as being a mix, can't see anything else as plausible.
    What would be the static pattern nature of consciousness exactly.
    The most obvious thing about being conscious is the flow of time,
    this has to be driven by DQ surely, otherwise it is all static repetition,
    would there be any time/consciousness if there was only SQ present
    in experience. Experience is mainly DQ, even if I keep seeing a dog
    (static pattern), it keeps moving, it keeps enduring through time,
    it is a unique experience, it will never be the same dog in the same place
    at the same time, therefore there is always a DQ element of SQ things
    being experienced, in fact SQ things are an abstraction from DQ experience.
    Only through memory, through noticing repetition can we talk about SQ.
    But why does SQ happen, why do things repeat and go static. I like to
    thjink that for the sake of there being a real-finite world of SQ, then DQ
    has
    somehow withdrawn, stopped changing, to allow SQ to occur. Even then,
    when we experience something dynamically as in our consciousness, there is
    also
    an SQ element. There goes my dog flying by, I recognise her instantly, this
    re-cognition is only possible because old SQ is somehow ready at hand, I can
    match
    dog-experience with well-known my-dog static memories, and somehow we create
    these static my-dog memories from lots of pretty dynamic-unique experience.
    No
    experience is ever the same as another (DQ) yet we build up static patterns
    to make
    sense of the flux of experience, and also some how, and rather
    coincidentally, the world has
    enough static structures in the flux to do this static knowledge building,
    Heidegger thinks this is
    very shocking and should disturb us, Schelling also -who he nicks a lot
    from.
    Clearly the same sort of pattern building that we do with our minds has
    occurred in what we call
    the world. Hence we can re-cognise it. Hence truth is aletheia or
    un-concealing, because, perhaps,
    the static patterns we intellectually-percepytually create are not so
    different from the ones that
    seem to be popping up in the flux of our experience.

    regards
    David Morey