MD The Cutting Edge & Intellect

From: Mati Palm-Leis (mpalm@merr.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 12:59:48 GMT

    Mark you wrote:

    Mark 19-11-03: For your benefit: We must make a distinction between: 1.
    Art
    (Dynamic). 2. The (static) products of Art. Thus, Intellect in motion is
    Dynamic artistic activity, while the static repertoire from which new
    art is
    created is the sum total of all previous Dynamic intellectual activity.
    Truth is part of the static repertoire, and it is an Artistic creation,
    like
    subjects and objects.

    Mark
    The other night I was watching "Lawrence of Arabia" one of my favorite
    films. I was reminded by the scene with the train of Pirsig's own talk
    about the cutting edge of reality being the cutting edge of the train.
    That cutting edge of reality has been on my mind lately. I agree that
    art products may become static, but that is not Art itself. The cutting
    edge of reality is changing and dynamic in nature. Art, truth, morality
    and quality exist on that cutting edge. By the time we get to it
    intellectually, the train has gone on by, unless we take life as
    existing on the cutting edge of reality. Unfortunately I don't believe
    we, as humans, have the capacity to do that for very long if at all.
    Intellect also can't survive on that edge, it's a static pattern.
    However the value might be that we can intellectually support the values
    that can help us recognize that edge. I was thinking about the process
    of art, often I believe it is the artist interpretation of that edge
    that is communicated through their work. I remember being in an art
    museum in Europe once and there was a small exhibit of just blank
    canvasses from various well known artist. At first I though, "Yeah
    right, who is kidding us here, this isn't art." Now I understand that
    they were all experiencing the same value of the same cutting edge. That
    moment right before the process begins of creating. Pirsig wasn't really
    that clear on the subject other than writing, "Finally there's a fourth
    Dynamic morality which isn't a code. I suppose you could call it "Code
    of Art" or something like that, but art is usually though of as such a
    frill that the title undercuts its importance." I still am not sure what
    the "Code of Art" exactly is but perhaps it is all related to that edge.
    Just a thought.
    Mati