Re: MD Rorty I

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 13:28:51 GMT

    Hi Matt, All:

    > My response will be long and split into parts because Anthony has tapped
    > into and articulated (for better or for worse) a general feeling that many
    > of the participants in the MD share. Because of Anthony's unique status at
    > the website, to not respond at length would be to court total rhetorical
    > annihilation. For Anthony is (rightly) the foremost authority on Pirsig's
    > philosophy. As such, to treat Rorty and myself dismissively is to give
    > free licence to everyone and anyone to treat the philosophy contained in my
    > posts dismissively.

    Speaking of dismissive, an article in the NY Times of Jan. 3 was
    headlined, "Cultural Theorists, Start Your Epitaphs." Seems Terry
    Eagleton, a leader of modern literary criticism, has recanted. "The golden
    age of cultural theory is long past," Eagleton writes in his new book,
    "After Theory."

    "In this age of terrorism," Eagleton says, "cultural theory has become
    increasingly irrelevant, because theorists have failed to address the big
    questions of morality, metaphysics, religion, revolution, death and
    suffering."

    The article continues. "What Mr. Eagleton wants now is a search for
    absolutes, for norms, for answers to what he calls, "fundamental questions
    of truth and love in order to meet the urgencies of our global
    situation.'"

    When a postmodernist of the stature of Terry Eagleton dismisses
    postmodernist theory, a tectonic shift in the views of academic
    intellectuals is indicated. Perhaps as postmodernism fades into the
    oblivion reserved for similar fads, Pirsig will be more widely recognized
    sooner than we expect.

    Platt