Re: MD Measuring values

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 12:52:23 GMT

    Hi Scott,

    I have to preface my comments by saying I haven't read Charles Murray's
    "Human Accomplishment." So I have no idea what his position would be in
    response to your observations. My comments are strictly ad hoc.

    > > Using something called the Lotka Curve, Murray established a pattern of
    > > excellence based on Lotka's observation that most contributors to
    > > scientific journals write only one article while a tiny few --the
    > > giants-- write dozens.
    >
    > Or, some contributors have attained celebrity status. How does the solitary
    > genius who challenges the Kuhnian paradigm get published? Usually, they
    > don't.

    We can always assume the existence of unsung heros who go unrecognized.
    But, Murray's measurements of excellence are based on actual achievements,
    not on imaginary "what if" and "if only" scenarios.

    > >As example of the validity of the Curve, consider golf.
    >
    > A biological accomplishment. It is rarely difficult to establish betterness
    > in sporting events (except maybe gymnastics and such).

    True. But the Curve seems applicable to higher levels as well.

    > > More than half of all the professionals have never won a tournament, and
    > > of those who have won, a majority have won only one. But Jack Nicklaus
    > > won eighteen majors. As Murray notes, you can come up with as many
    > > postmodern theories about social construction of reality as you like: It
    > > won't change the fact that Jack Nicklaus was a much better golfer than
    > > most great golfers. This pattern tends to hold true for science, art,
    > > literature, philosophy and every other realm of the human pursuit of
    > > excellence.

    The Nicklaus example is a metaphor for the pattern. Applying the pattern
    to higher levels, the Nicklaus of physics would be Einstein, of literature
    Shakespeare, of art Michelangelo, of philosophy Plato, of mysticism
    Buddha, etc.

    > > Murray makes two factual assertions. The first is that his numbers
    > > reflect the definitive consensus among those who know what they are
    > > talking about.
    >
    > That is, intersubjective agreement.

    Yes, but restricted to an elite group. Hardly democratic.

    > > His second claim is that this consensus of opinion reflects objective
    > > fact. Behind these assertions is the his basic assumption that excellence
    > > (value) in art, science and philosophy exists and therefore can be
    > > measured.

    > How do you tell whether the high measurement comes from "objective fact",
    > or whether it comes from some social or scientific fad, like celebrity
    > (science too has its celebrities)? Carl Sagan is an example in my mind of
    > someone who was valueless as a thinker outside of his specialty, yet had
    > high celebrity status.

    I guess that fads and celebrity are accounted for Murray's measurements of
    value by invoking a time factor, the "test of time"as it were. Sagan is
    already under criticism by his peers for being, if not a phony, close to
    it. I doubt if a hundred years from now he will get much ink.

    > > This is what I was seeking--an "objective" measure of value at the upper
    > > levels based on an application of mathematical methods that have been so
    > > successful at the lower levels. Whether you agree or not with Murray's
    > > approach, you have to give him credit for pushing boundary that others
    > > had pretty much given up on.
    > >
    > > What Murray has accomplished IMO is objective proof of Pirsig's basic
    > > assumption that "some things are better than others" and that betterness
    > > is NOT just a matter of "whatever I like."
    >
    > By Murray's methods, Pirsig would be rated nowhere as a philosopher. How
    > many articles has he had published in academic philosophy journals? How
    > often is he cited by his "peers", that is, other philosophers? So if you
    > like Murray's "objective proof", then you should ignore Pirsig.

    Again, it's too early to tell Pirsig's eventual standing on the scale of
    achievements.

    > ZMM was rejected by 30 publishers before it was accepted. What if Pirsig
    > had given up at 25? The hilarious novel "A Confederacy of Dunces" was also
    > rejected by everybody, leading the author to kill himself. His mother
    > finally found a prominent novelist (Walker Percy) to read it, and he got it
    > published. Now "everybody" sees it as a great novel. How many other
    > "Confederacy of Dunces", or ZMM's, are there that never made it?

    Well, not "everybody" exactly. I never heard of "Confederacy of Dunces"
    Probably the reason you put quotes around "everybody." Your "what if"
    scenarios are infinite and thus of questionable relevance. I mean, what if
    there weren't 1.6 million abortions in the U.S. every year? How many
    geniuses were "rejected" before being born?

    I think Murray is on the cutting edge of a "objective" numerical approach
    to validating the MOQ. As long as "objectivity" is so highly esteemed in
    our science-oriented milieu, I think Murray's book is worth a careful read
    which I intend to do.

    Platt