Re: MD Re: Rorty (Big Self & small self)

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 20:06:32 GMT

    Scott said:

    Yes, the static patterns manifest DQ, but my objection is that Pirsig takes
    this in a nominalistic way, as evidenced by his considering DQ as
    "pre-intellectual", and in general seeing the intellect as covering up DQ.

    DM: I guess my view, to offer an alternative, is that DQ clearly underlies
    all SQ so one approach to DQ is to
    get away from all differentiation/intellect. However, another way pushes
    intellect as far as it can go, intellect clearly
    covers up the existence of DQ/Becoming as argues by Heidegger/Bhaskar in the
    form of SOM, however there is the
    possibility of pushing intellect out beyond SOM, where, in a way, as
    Heidegger says 'thinking breaks' and you arrive
    back at DQ, and in an intellectually more profound way having passed through
    the limitations of SOM.

    regards
    David M