Re: MD Re: Do we all need philosophy?

From: RycheWorld@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 22:57:08 GMT

    ATW,

        I believe we are all caught up in that type of society. I see at one end
    is the "everyday world" (for lack of a better term). In this world there are
    bills to pay, material things to own and the work to obtain these things. I
    also see in this world how, especially in the USA, we are almost discouraged to
    think. Do what you're told, make as much as you can and definitely keep up with
    the Jones's.
        In addition is the part religion plays in this world. Coming from a
    catholic background we are molded to believe in things that (may not) exist. That
    alone is an attempt to shape our minds into something. This goes against the
    thinking process, right?
        The other world is the thinking world. This is where we take the time to
    focus maybe inward (?) as opposed to looking at everything through
    materialistic eyes. This is the world where we chose to search for the answers of
    existence.
        Personally, I find it difficult to have your cake and eat it too. I agree
    with what you stated and I ask, "Can you successfully strive in both
    worlds?". Because (again, I don't know) if you live too much in one then you lose in
    the other. Yet trying to find a happy-medium is irrelevant because STILL one
    world will infect the other.
        Your thoughts?

    Dan