Re: MD Speaking of musical excellence

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 01:53:47 GMT

    Hi Platt,

    In ZAMM chapter 21 Pirsig says:
    Art is high-quality endeavor. That is all that really needs to be said.
    Or, if something more high-sounding is demanded: Art is the Godhead as
    revealed in the works of man. The relationship established by Phædrus
    makes it clear that the two enormously different sounding statements
    are actually identical.

    Steve:
    The above supports your view of art being appropriately measured by the
    degree to which it reflects Spirit.

    Pirsig also says this in his intro to LC:
    Art is not just the static achievements of the masters of the past. Art
    is the creative Dynamic Quality of the artist of the present.

    Though in ZAMM and later in LC Pirsig says that he never felt the need
    to add anything to the definition of art as a high quality endeavor,
    here he seems to be applying his static/dynamic cut to do just that. I
    think this application of dq/sq does add to the definition of art and
    brings clarity to understanding what art is. (He also applied this cut
    in the buying a new record example in Lila.)

    It may be helpful to understand the difference between saying some
    classical piece of art is good and saying some piece of modern art is
    good. In the case of art (or music) that we refer to as a classic, we
    are probably mostly praising it in terms of static quality. Similarly,
    when we label a piece of modern art (or music) "good," we probably mean
    our experience is high quality in the dynamic sense.

    I can agree with you that rock and roll will not likely be listened to
    in 500 years, while classical music probably will still be listened to.
      But I also think that such a static quality measure does not explain
    all there is to understand about art and music.

    Regards,
    Steve