Re: Definition: Religion [was Re: MD quality religion]

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@tiscali.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 15:59:37 GMT

    Hi David M,

    A while back you suggested: "In the past have religions often worshipped a god of SQ in the west, a
    god of law, where as the east has more often seen a god of DQ?"

    How do you reconcile that with this quote from St Paul: "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for
    those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus, the law of the Spirit of Life set me
    free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:1-2)

    This isn't me wanting to bring in the Bible as an authority. This is me saying that Paul's whole
    understanding of faith was geared around rejecting the God of law in favour of the 'spirit' - which
    I treat as being DQ. This is at least *prima facie* evidence of a non law-based western religion,
    wouldn't you agree?

    Sam