Re: MD quality religion

From: Matt poot (mattpoot@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 17:06:12 BST

    Hello,

    I dont mean to go of course, but...

    I am not really that fluent with biblical text, but have somewhat a grasp of
    the story about the Tower of Babel.

    I found it utterly fascinating, that the story describes humanity as
    "speaking one language", and the progress they made. They were building a
    Tower towards God. Then they were smote.

    They worked as a whole, together, as friend rather than foe.
    I think that the metaphorical value of this story is "good".
    Perhaps I am wrong?

    Matt

    >From: "Platt Holden" <pholden@sc.rr.com>
    >To: moq_discuss@moq.org
    >Subject: Re: MD quality religion
    >Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:29:39 -0500
    >
    >Hi Wim,
    >
    >Never mind DMB's congenital negativism. Your post describing the
    >"Religious Society of Friends" was a beautiful description of a beautiful
    >religion. It's so close to my own idea of religion as to be almost
    >indistinguishable. While you regularly gather with others in meetings to
    >seek and experience God, I intermittently gather with others in concert
    >halls, museums and the great outdoors to seek and experience DQ. While you
    >remain silent until you and others are moved to speak, I remain silent to
    >let the music, artwork or natural scene speak. But, these are mere
    >quibbles.
    >
    >Thanks much for taking the time and trouble to explain what Quakers are
    >all about. If I weren't an atheist, I'd probably be a Quaker, too. :-)
    >
    >Regards,
    >Platt
    >

    > > Dear (potential) fans of at least one religion (-: ,
    > >
    > > High time to present as my favourite religion: Quakers alias the
    >'Religious
    > > Society of Friends', or rather the European variant, which I know best.
    > >
    > > Platt explained 17 Mar 2004 07:38:22 -0500 the difference between his
    > > religion of 'pursuing Dynamic Quality by creating and contemplating art
    >as
    > > well as by pursuing beauty in all my endeavors' and 'other religious
    > > activity' with: 'No need for intermediaries (church, rituals, priests,
    > > gurus) to experience DQ.'
    > >
    > > If you substitute 'God' for 'DQ' this was the exact starting point of
    > > Quakerism in 17th century England. And to cut a long (hi)story short:
    >every
    > > Quaker I know would probably agree with Platt's statement after some
    > > explanation of the role of Dynamic Quality in the MoQ.
    > >
    > > In 1643 19 year old George Fox was shocked by the failure of alleged
    > > Christians to live up to their Christian standards and (as he describes
    >in
    > > his 'Journal', which we might now call 'memoirs') was 'called' to leave
    > > home and search spiritual help. Consulting without success priests,
    >vicars,
    > > dissenting preachers, so-called experienced people and everyone else he
    > > could find, he at last (in 1647) 'heard a voice' which said: "There is
    >one,
    > > even Christ Jesus, that can speak to thy condition". He became an
    >itinerant
    > > preacher himself. He met people and religious groups with comparable
    > > experiences and spoke in services of more established churches, sharing
    > > essentially this message of the possibility of unmediated inspiration.
    > >
    > > This message became a unifying force for a growing group of people.
    > > Consequences drawn were a refusal to take oaths, refusal to pay
    >'hat-honor'
> [...]

    Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium
    http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/