Re: MD What have you freed lately?

From: Leland Jory (ljory@mts.net)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 05:14:45 BST

    On Mar 30, 2004, at 15:35, Platt Holden wrote:

    > Of all the passages in Lila, none is more significant than this one. It
    > describes how Pirsig views the mysterious mystic force he calls Dynamic
    > Quality.
    > First, it is a force, an energy, drawing all creatures great and small
    > towards betterness.
    > Second, it created and continues to create everything new under the
    > sun.
    > Third, its highest good is freedom from static patterns.

    The interesting thing is, he not only refers to it as a force but as a
    moment in time. It is a temporal phenomenon, the "cutting edge of
    reality". The reason it is dynamic is that it is continually in motion.
    Like the old taoist idea that you never step in the same river twice
    (because the water that was under your foot has now moved on).

    Another thing to remember is, although the ultimate goal of DQ is
    freedom from static patterns, the patterns are vital as a foundation
    for tomorrow's dynamic ideas. Without static patterns, the world would
    be chaos.

    --
    Leland Jory :^{)>
    Cafeteria Spiritualist and Philosopher